Thursday 26 April 2012

PLUS SIZE MODELS... IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH OUR BODIES??

Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less. Ten years ago plus-size models averaged between size 12 and 18. Today the need for size diversity within the plus-size modelling industry continues to be questioned. Is there something really wrong with our bodies? I am a plus-size model and to me it is surprising to seet the majority of plus-size models on agency boards are between a size 6 and 14. I mean 50% of women wear a size 14 or larger, but most standard clothing outlets cater for sizes 14 and smaller. I honestly feel if we continue to ignore and rely on others to decide what we want to see, change will never happen. It is about time we as plus-size models or women who are a size 14 and larger to start becoming more vocal and proactive, patient and realistic.


REPRESENTING PLUS-SIZE MODELS: Refilwe Makamedi (me) at a photoshoot by Jessica Otto at the Emerentia Botanical Gardens.
Why are we expected to respond to pictures of small size 6 and 8 women? There is absolutely nothing wrong with our bodies, its just that we are bombarded with weight-loss every single day and we're in an industry that preys on the fear of being fat. Not every one is meant to be skinny, our bodies are beautiful and I am not talking about health here because not every skinny person is healthy. Our desire is equality to shop and have fashion option just like smaller women.


WHITNEY THOMPSON: first plus-size model to win America's  Next Top Model cycle 10.


How do we bring about change?
  • Support clothing outlets who market you.
  • Use social networking sites to let brands and designers know how you feel about clothing and the use of thin models to market you.
  • Your money counts. If you stop buying at "Store A" and let them know you will not be purchasing their clothes until they market you, this will raise concern.
  • Use every opportunity you have available to you for your voice to be heard.
Why can't we move  towards  that goal??  Why are we being affected by the brands who want our money??

7 comments:

  1. I think things are slowly, but surely changing. Full-figured women are starting to state their concerns and compete with skinny women. A lot of clothing lines are being started for bigger women and these designers are certainly going to need women that can fit in their clothes to model for them so, your worries will be a thing of the past soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope something will be done about it and I will be looking forward to the new design range.

      Delete
  2. Well when it comes to modelling it is not only the weight but height too. I started modelling when I was 7 in grade1 and It was something I was really good at; I won every single competition I have ever entered. My dream came to an end when I went to try out for miss SA teen, I was too short and couldn't go through to the next round. My point is, we all wear clothes and we all want to feel pretty, so this weight and height discrimination has to come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to come to an end,. I've been watching the recent cycle of America's Next Top Model, broadcasting on VUZU channel 123 on DSTV, where Tyra is actually looking for models who are short to make their dreams come true. I would be really happy if Miss SA teen would consider doing that just once.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And really I think this world should eally take another form in accepting plus size models..the world has shaped that to be a model you need to be below size zero and that is also putting pressure on people especially teen not to accept the way they are. I personally admire the works of David Tlale who are now making or opening new doors for plus size model if we can have more designers doing this cases of low self esteam can reduce because more and more people will start accepting themselves the way they are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True,positive self-esteem would be built and encouraged and the high rate of anorexia would decrease.

      Delete